The 한미 Day Camp~





I apologize once again for not posting at all, but I wanted to make a post about yesterday's day camp before I forget all the details so that will be today's post.

First off, I've got to say that this was probably one of my favorite days so far in Korea. I love my team members and had soooo much fun with them yesterday♡ We made a lot of good memories yesterday that I won't forget, and we also built great friendships during the course of the camp. Thanks to my team for making my day so great yesterday and working hard together despite the hot hot weather! I'll never forget my elephants♥


                                
So now about the camp and what we did. When we first got there they gave us nametags to wear for the day. We got them and then sat with the other 50 Korean students who were already there and got to know them a little. After the intro stuff, we played icebreakers as a big group such as human bingo. When those big group ice breakers were finished, we then had to get in our groups. The name tags they gave us earlier had an animal in them (randomly placed by staff beforehand) which were our groups for the rest of the day. We had 12 in our elephant group: 5 American students, 5 Korean students, and 2 supporters.
Once we were in our groups, we played more icebreakers. (If you do NSLI-Y, you'll probably sigh every time you hear icebreakers but I guarantee y'all these ones were fun!) We did team building games and get to know each other games such as making the given word with all of our team's bodies and choosing a person who seemed like the most/best _____. [My team chose me as best dancer, some chose me as singer, and I don't remember the others. The best dancer one required me to show them some dance and then later on to go on stage for a dance battle. WHY ME?]


After some games we did a fashion show, and guess who was picked by her team to be the "American" model? Yup... I was, and chosen as my partner was 찬~~~ It wasn't just any ordinary fashion show though. We had to wear "clothes" our team made out of newspapers and tape. Lucky me! But we had sooo much fun~ I attached some pictures of us during the fashion show, and our group got 8/10 for it! We apparently were going for the couple look according to Madie haha~ Definitely a good memory from the camp♥ 우리는 모델스!

























We also did this thing where we had a piece of paper on our

backs and our group members would write their first impressions of us. I was scared to read mine but my team is too kind♥ They wrote such sweet things hehe~ And when we were discussing them it was even nicer! This brought a lot of laughs for others though, because some would say looks [or looked] old, looks 102, looks 60, etc...

   
After all the games and stuff were done, it was on to the mission[s]! But first we ate haha~ We went to a Japanese restaurant that had realllyyy good curry and ordered/ate lots and lots of food! Lunch took so long we didn't have much time left for our missions. However, lunch was enjoyable since we got to talk more with the Korean students and learn more about them. When I realized we weren't really mixed with seats, I rearranged the seats and we sat American, Korean, American, Korea, etc... While in Korea I've learned how close you can get to people in such a short time despite all the differences you may have. Oh! And during lunch we took some [aka a lot] of pictures hehe~ 




The first place we went to was 광장시장 and for the mission we decided to get this raw beef (육회), pancakes (빈때떡), and 마약김밥. We made a short CF for the meat as part of the mission... in the subway station haha. We couldn't find anywhere to film a video and sit and eat so we were just sitting in the subway station eating this raw beef while people stared at us.


After that we didn't have much time but we headed to the location of our next mission, 인사동. We had to talk to these guys who make this snack (that is so delicious) and learned that they memorized the explanation of how to make what they were making in 7 languages! Although, I think the guy counted dialects of Korean so it may not actually be 7 haha. The guys are hilarious though and really entertaining... and the thing they make is really good~ We also had to interview people on the streets and ask what food they thought was most popular in Korea. My group kept making me asking the questions cause "I was the best at Korean." A lot of the people we asked said 불고기!






  


 Once we were done we headed back to where our camp was being held and drew up a poster for the mission. My group worked very hard on the poster (thanks guys♥) while the guys and I relaxed haha. Our supporters aka 빙수오빠 and 할아버지 bought us ice cream as well hehe~ they were the best! Despite all the hard work we did trying to win (hehehehe) we didn't, but it didn't matter cause we had sooo much fun★ After the camp ended, I went out and had 빙수 and fried chicken with some of the Korean students which just made it even harder to say goodbye to them ㅠㅠ

 

It's crazy how you can build a friendship with someone despite language barriers and cultural barriers in such a short time, and how close you can get with them as well. We were all quite awkward at first with each other, but by the end of the day we didn't want to leave each other. I've been talking to my team members and it makes me so sad I probably won't see most of them before I leave this country since they're from so far ㅠㅠ


The weather was so hot and we were all exhausted, but we enjoyed each other's presence and made so many memories together. Like one of my teammates said as his least favorite part about the camp, "while it was very fun, the time was too short. It would've been better if it was 1박2일."

I'm so thankful to my teammates and miss them already. I think the 한미캠프 will be one of the greatest memories from Korea.

Post-camp bingsoo with some of the Korean students 




My awesome group from the day camp! I love my elephants!♥ 

Comments

Popular Posts