Taste of Hawaii: Itchy Butt

"Taste of Hawaii" is a new series of blog posts highlighting some of my favorite places to eat/drink in Oahu. To read more posts from my "Taste of Hawaii" series, please click here.

ITCHY BUTT

The name of this restaurant immediately catches your attention. Whether or not the words "itchy butt" make you hungry, they certainly pique your interest when seen as a restaurant name. If I had to take a guess, that's what the owners of Itchy Butt were going for. The name is definitely what drew me in... but I stayed for the food.

Located across from Cartwright Neighborhood Park on the corner of Keeaumoku and Kinau, Itchy Butt is a hole in the wall place that serves Korean fried chicken in the Makiki area of Honolulu. When I say it's a hole in the wall place, I'm not kidding. Itchy Butt is super tiny and take-out only. You walk up to the little window to order, and everything is made-to-order. While you do have to wait (and there is no seating unless you drove a car), the food is hot and made on the spot.

FOOD:
Itchy Butt is perfect for when you have that KFC (Korean fried chicken... not Kentucky) craving. You can order either a whole chicken or half chicken with multiple flavor options such as Korean, garlic, shoyu (soy), and spicy. Both the whole and half chicken options come with Korean radish, fried cheese sticks, and a drink (two drinks for a whole chicken). The half chicken has about 9 pieces, while the whole chicken has about 18 pieces. If you have two people, the whole chicken is definitely the best choice. If you order a whole chicken, you can also choose TWO flavors (and trust me, you'll want to try all the different flavors). After multiple visits to Itchy Butt, my regular order (if I'm with another person) seems to have become the whole chicken in soy and garlic. Those two flavors are just delicious together!!
Fried Chicken Bowl 

The whole and half chicken can sound like too much food when you're only one person, but Itchy Butt has you covered. They also serve fried chicken bowls and spicy chicken bowls. These feature plenty of chicken over rice. My go-to order for the bowl option is a fried chicken bowl. This has their delicious fried chicken with sauce over nice warm rice. Even when I would get the fried chicken bowl for myself, it made two meals... or one meal and the perfect midnight snack.

While Itchy Butt specializes in and is known for their Korean fried chicken, there are also non-chicken options. If you aren't feeling chicken, you can opt for a bulgogi, spicy pork, loco moco, or spam and egg rice bowl.

PRICE:
In my opinion (and I've eaten a lot of chicken), Itchy Butt's prices are very reasonable. The half chicken is about $14, and the whole chicken is about $24. The whole chicken always leaves us very full, and sometimes with leftovers.
The bowls are all under $8, and like I said before, they're yummy and filling. You will certainly be full without putting a big dent in your wallet. Keep scrolling down this post to see pictures of Itchy Butt's menu.
OVERALL:

Itchy Butt was a place that had been on my radar for a while, and after 5 months of talking about it and walking by it almost everyday, I finally stopped in. And I am very happy that I did. Itchy Butt is a great option for Korean fried chicken in the area. You get plenty of food at a good price, all while supporting a small local business. 

As a big football fan, there is nothing better than diving into a big thing of fried chicken while watching football. Itchy Butt is my go-to on game days. Because everything is made-to-order, I do recommend calling ahead of time if you do not want to wait long for your food. On game days, I'll call in my order with about 5 minutes left in the first half, go during halftime, then return home with food to eat for the second half of the game. The perfect game day!

My overall assessment of Itchy Butt? Ono. Definitely make sure to stop by if you're on the island and want some fried chicken.




Comments

Popular Posts