Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaii Ceremony

Every year on Memorial Day, Lantern Floating Hawaii is a ceremony that is held to remember and honor loved ones who are no longer here with us. Nearly 50,000 people make their way to Ala Moana to observe and participate in the ceremony, with many more watching on TV or live stream from home. In addition to the sending and floating lanterns, there is a beautiful ceremony featuring prayers and Hawaiian chants, hula, community leaders coming together, Buddhist and Western sounds, and other traditions. These all create a loving, supportive, and harmonious environment.

Image result for lantern floating hawaii

Reporters from Japan
There are countless lantern festivals that take place around the world. I had always wanted to attend one, so when I heard of the Lantern Floating Hawaii Ceremony, I knew I had to go. I had only been in Hawaii for about a week and was eager to experience everything Oahu had to offer. Some of my coworkers shared a similar mindset, so we decided to go down to Ala Moana on Memorial Day.

Many people simply attend the festival for the meaning, atmosphere, and sight. You do not have to make a lantern to participate, but if you do want to make a lantern, you have to go down to the Ala Moana Beach Park area during the day. There are large "Lantern Request" tents set up at Ala Moana Beach from 10am to 3pm on Memorial Day where you can receive and write on your lantern. There are bags, the lantern materials, and markers for you to prepare your lantern.


                               gallery1

Later on in the day, I made my way back down to Ala Moana with my lantern. Despite the light rain, there were still tens of thousands of people in attendance. I believe the ceremony takes place around 6:30pm, but I don't remember for sure. I got there around sunset and stayed for at least an hour. Although there is a huge crowd, it is not very difficult to make your way down to the water to float your lantern. Everyone is kind and respectful of the atmosphere, so there is not much need to worry about the attitude of the large crowd. That is the beauty of this.

If you do plan on floating a lantern and want to see it out or walk it our further out than just the shoreline, you can enter the water. I didn't expect to go so deep into the water, but I did. So if you plan on it, just dress appropriately (shoes/clothes) for the water. I do recommend going further out into the water if you are able to. When you get away from the large crowd on the beach and surround yourself with thousands of lanterns written and floating in remembrance of loved ones, it is a truly special feeling.
    
There is not much to say about this event because it is all about how it makes you feel. I went down to the beach alone, and I left with good friends who I still talk to to this day. If you want to truly experience aloha, this is a great place to do so. If you are in Hawaii for this beautiful event, please do attend if you can. I am sure you will not regret it.

                           

Sending aloha all the way to Ala Moana Beach on this Memorial Day for the 2019 Lantern Floating Hawaii Ceremony!






Comments

Popular Posts