낙산공원 (Naksan Park)

I spent a lot of time exploring the city and what city life was like, but there are some really beautiful, peaceful places in Korea that I loved! This post will be about a place called Naksan Park (낙산공원) I went to one night.

낙산공원, which is how I'm going to refer to it in the post for the most part, is located in the middle of Seoul. (Directions at the end of this post)

"Naksan Park gets its name from its camel hump-like appearance. In Korean ‘nakta’ means camel and ‘san’ means mountain. So people refer to the park as Nakta Park or Naksan Park. The mountain is solid granite bedrock. The Joseon royal family enjoyed the natural beauty of the granite mountain, but during the Japanese Colonial Period a hasty manner of urban planning resulted in the demolition of most of the mountain. In an effort to save the remaining green belts, Naksan was designated a park on June 10, 2002. Located in the center of the Seoul, this historical and beautiful park allows its visitors to view the magnificence of the entire city." (Directly from the visit Korea site). 


              
So 낙산공원 is completely free to go to and open 24/7, though they have some exhibit thing that has certain hours. I went kind of late at night, and it was just really beautiful. In Korea, you hear cicadas a lot, but at 낙산공원 there were hardly any people, no cicadas, and it had just recently rained. The atmosphere was really nice. I personally would recommend going at night, because if the sky is clear, the view of the city is gorgeous!낙산공원 has appeared in Korean dramas before, and it has historical significance. It was built as a guard/fortress of Seoul long ago, and is now being preserved as a park. There is this park and another part of the wall that remains, as much of it was destroyed during the Japanese occupation of the land. 

                               
I was someone who loved shopping in Korea and just walking around the busy streets, but 낙산공원 was one of my favorite places I went to in Korea. I really recommend coming here or doing something similar. You can appreciate the beauty of the place and just relax.

I don't have much to say about the place.. I'm going to follow the saying that "a picture is worth a thousand words" and just kind of show you some of 
낙산공원! ^^ 

During the day it is really pretty... 

Entrance to Naksan Park at the base of the mountain
Entrance
Open space offering great views at Naksan Park
During the day (Credit to owner)


Fortress wall running through Naksan Park in SeoulHiking path running next to Seoul Fortress Wall


But I think it is even prettier at night! 







Since it had just recently rained, there weren't many people around, adding to the peaceful environment. I went just a few days before I was leaving Korea and just seeing the view of the city from there just made me think about my time in Korea and how I was going to miss it. I love shopping, walking up and down Hongdae's busy streets, and the business of Seoul, but going to places like this gave me a different experience that I really loved. When I go back to Korea, I know where to go to relax and find peace.






Please excuse my poor photography skills this night... I took most of these pictures while I was walking or standing on top a bench with like 8+ shopping bags in my hands LOL. Also, I wore these heeled/wedged sandals (I didn't know I was going to be walking up a mountain) so I suggest wearing sneakers since the ground can be uneven and the rocky stairs kind of steep. It's a nice green area amidst the bustling city, and it has pretty cool historical significance (I'm a big history fan haha). 

I don't have much to say besides how nice it is here and how you should go. I'm so grateful my friend brought me here! I wouldn't have even known about this place if he didn't bring me here, so I wanted to share the place with you guys! 

DIRECTIONS
So 낙산공원 is near Hyehwa on Line 4 of the subway.
When you get to Hyehwa station, exit the station at exit 2.
Walk 70 meters and make the first left where there is the sculpture for Marronnier Park. 
Continue on Daehak-ro 8ga-gil for 180 meters until it dead ends and make a right. 
Continue for 50 meters and make at the second left on to Guldari-gil. 
Continue uphill for 200 meters to reach the park on the left.


You'll be going up a pretty steep hill road and come to the large stairs (which is the entrance).

*Also nearby is 이화마을 (Mural Village). 이화마을 is super cool and has artwork all over the walls and stairs and buildings. It's a really cool place to walk through and check out... and take pictures!! 







Comments

Popular Posts