Shopping in Singapore: Haji Lane Thrift Stores & Vintage Shops

**EDIT: I don't know why the photos aren't loading properly -- I am working to re-add them to the post!!**

This is the first post in a series of posts I'll be doing about my recent travels to Singapore. 

And the first thing I want to share about is of course, the shopping scene! When people think of Singapore, "Crazy Rich Asians" is probably one of the first things that comes to mind for a lot of people. The movie showcases the glitz, glam, and lavish life in Singapore. Even when I was telling my friends about my travels to Singapore, people told me I'll probably do a lot of shopping and to even bring an empty suitcase! 

While I definitely did my fair share of shopping at stores in the mall and cute boutiques I'd stumble upon while walking around, some of my favorite stores and purchases were found in the area of Singapore called "Haji Lane." 

Haji Lane is in the Kampong Glam area of Singapore, which I have also seen termed the "Muslim quarter" of Singapore as there is strong Malay-Muslim history, heritage, and culture which still is preserved to this day there. This is pretty evident and I found it to be really beautiful, different, and unique compared to other areas of Singapore I had already seen - I also find the history of the population really interesting, so getting to see how that manifests in the different areas was cool for me. Anyway...back to shopping! 

Once you start walking down Haji Lane, you'll quickly understand why it's become such a popular spot for shopping, especially if you're into thrifting or vintage finds. The street itself is relatively small, but it's packed with colorful storefronts, boutiques, cool murals, and all sorts of cute little shops that had me stopping every few steps I took. 

What I really liked about the shopping here was that it felt so different from the typical shopping experience in Singapore's larger malls. I am someone who loves thrifting back home and I was watching this fashion design show on the plane ride to Singapore, so I think I was feeling extra inspired to get some unique pieces. Instead of the usual luxury brands and mainstream retailers people might think about when they think Singapore, Haji Lane has a much more eclectic feel. There are a ton of vintage and secondhand clothing, streetwear, accessories, and independent boutiques. You can find everything from graphic tees and vintage denim to Y2K-inspired pieces, American sportswear (see pics), and some really unique statement items. 

Not all of these thrift/secondhand stores are like the traditional thrift shops (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.) that I frequent back home. There were a lot of curated vintage/secondhand boutiques with distinct style/aesthetic/vibes... some were more like streetwear and oversized clothes, others were denim-centered and some had cutesy girly vibes. I love it all so I made a lot of stops into various stores. (Will post my haul in another post)

These stores still had that treasure-hunt feeling of thrifting, where you could spend time browsing through racks and never quite know what you might find, and if you're lucky, find some gems at really good prices!

A few of the stores I came across included Vintagewknd, re:drmg, Faded Thrift, Modern Retold, and Local Thrift SG. (I think Modern Retold and Local Thrift SG are associated)

Because each store has its own aesthetic, it made walking from one store to another kind of fun. I was even surprised to see some unique (and extremely random) American sports apparel there as a huge sports fan. Another thing I appreciated was seeing how some of these stores incorporate sustainability into their business models, whether through reselling secondhand clothing or reworking older textiles into something new. It's easy to fall into the convenience and affordability of fast fashion, but it's really important to me to support sustainable fashion.

One thing I'd recommend is going into Haji Lane with an open or explorative mindset. Part of the fun when you're thrifting is just browsing and seeing what catches your eye. Since many of the pieces are secondhand, one-of-a-kind, or even upcycled textiles (Vintagewknd!!) you can find something you love that you won't be able to find anywhere else. I know some of the things I bought are unique, one-of-a-kind pieces, and support slow fashion and more sustainable shopping. So I feel even happier with what I bought at Haji Lane for those reasons.

If vintage shopping isn't necessarily your thing, I still think Haji Lane is worth visiting. The atmosphere alone makes it a fun place to walk around, take photos, pop into little boutiques, and grab something to eat or drink along the way. It's one of those areas where you can easily spend a few hours without realizing how much time has passed... at least I did. Like I mentioned above, it had such a different and unique vibe compared to other parts of Singapore I went to! 

For anyone visiting Singapore who wants to experience a different side of its shopping scene beyond the luxury malls, I'd definitely add Haji Lane to the itinerary! 

Some Stores to Highlight:
1. Vintagewknd: Focuses on original vintage and reworked clothing, including colorful pieces, Y2K-inspired styles, and upcycled designs. I feel like it's a girly and whismsy vibe. The brand also has a sustainability angle, with a focus on giving discarded textiles a new life. I love the concept and practice, and have some really cute and unique pieces from here!

2. re:drmg: A curated, alternative fashion aesthetic with handmade and vintage pieces and also a website linked earlier in this post. You can purchase stuff there I believe. I bought a couple tops here. I also love the patchwork! 

3. Faded Thrift: Everything is $5 - $25 so that alone makes it worth stopping in to see if you can get some cool pieces for a steal!

4. Superwasted: This one is associated with Vintagewknd but is more streetwear style. "A darker, grungier persona that explores radical, unconventional style with a strong streetwear influence." Super cool. I love both vibes!! 

Overall Thoughts & Conclusions on Haji Lane: 
  • - Give yourself time. Don't plan to pop into one shop and leave. There are plenty of little stores to explore, and some are upstairs or tucked away.
  • - Don't expect every store to have the same aesthetic. Some specialize in streetwear, others in Y2K fashion, Japanese vintage, or reworked pieces.
  • - Keep an open mind. You might walk in looking for a jacket and leave with a completely unexpected find.
  • -Visit during the afternoon. Many independent boutiques open around midday, so an early morning visit may mean finding some stores still closed.
  • - Explore beyond Haji Lane!! Arab Street and the surrounding Kampong Glam neighborhood have more independent shops and cultural attractions worth checking out. This area is home to the Sultan Mosque, which is a historic mosque and designated national monument. 
Enjoy - happy shopping!! More Singapore posts coming soon... including a shopping haul :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafes in Seoul Pt.1: 신촌♥ (Sinchon)

Hiking in Hawaii: KULI'OU'OU RIDGE TRAIL

Restaurants in Seoul Pt.1: 신촌♥ (Sinchon)