Safety in South Korea

Whenever I told people I was going to South Korea, they were always saying things like "don't die!" or "be careful!" because they immediately thought of the situation with N.Korea. Depending on where you live, reports about North Korea can be really crazy and make the country seem like they're constantly at war with South Korea and that South Korea is super dangerous because of the threat North Korea poses. Well in South Korea, people aren't nearly as frantic and worked up over North Korea because they're used to it. So to be honest, problems with North Korea should NOT be your main safety concern if you are going to South Korea. What I think is more important to talk about is personal safety in South Korea, specifically Seoul (where I lived).

That's what this post is going to be about- personal safety and dangers! I'll talk about what I think is important to know/do to stay safe and my personal experience and thoughts on safety in Seoul, South Korea. This post is especially for those who would like to go to Korea (whether it be through the NSLI-Y program or not) but they or their parents have concerns about safety.

On the NSLI-Y program, I was alone a lot. I took the subway around Seoul alone, I walked from my apartment to the subway station and to my apartment from the subway station (5 minute walk or so), I walked to class alone, found my way to meeting places with people around Seoul on my own, etc... basically I was alone a lot and had to find my way around.

Many people ask me if I was scared or nervous since I had to be so independent in a foreign country, and I answer "no" because I really wasn't. I maybe felt too safe, as in I was so comfortable and at home that I may not have been the most alert and cautious person, but I never felt scared walking alone at night or having to go places on my own mainly because...
1) I blended in and people thought I was Korean (so I wasn't the obvious and oblivious foreigner)
2) I knew a decent amount of Korean
3) I became used to my surroundings and knew where I was going
4) I just didn't feel that crime was rampant to the point that I needed to be super paranoid all the time

Because I didn't stick out so much, I was able to look like a local while riding the subway or walking on the streets...

I may have been too naive at times, but I really just felt so comfortable and safe. All of these reasons may not apply to you, but there are things I suggest to avoid looking like an easy target.

1) Don't walk around like you're completely lost, even if you are. I'm sure there will be many times you are lost and don't know where to go, but don't walk around in circles with a huge map. Look confident and like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. If you really need help, approach someone who looks like they are friendly and can lead you in the right direction. I never really ask people for directions when I'm lost, but I started doing so in Korea and those people saved me! (It also gave me a chance to practice Korean!)

Tip: If you need to ask someone for directions, ask a group of students (chances are they know some English), restaurant workers, or a family. 

2) Don't be oblivious to your surroundings. I am definitely guilty of  riding the subway or walking around Seoul with my phone in hand texting or listening to music, but make sure you are aware of what's going on around you. Don't completely focus on your phone or have your music sooo loud you can't hear anything around you. That makes you look like an easy target for pick-pocketing, especially if you already stick out as a foreigner. While there weren't many instances, I do know of someone that got pick-pocketed on the subway, so be mindful there. Make sure your bags are closed, nothing valuable sticking out of your pockets, etc. I honestly think pick-pocketing is one of the biggest safety problems you will possibly (but hopefully not) encounter.

3) Be mindful of Korean clothing standards. While I'm not saying you have to completely conform to their standards and dress like them, know what is acceptable and what is not. In Korea, girls are more conservative on the top but super short shorts/skirts are completely acceptable. There was this one girl who was studying in Korea and many of us knew her. We didn't know her personally, but we knew her for how she dressed... You're already sticking out because you're a foreigner, but don't make yourself stick out even more (and in a bad way) for how you dress.

4) Be smart when you see fights or arguments. Sometimes these can be staged to attract attention so that others can then pickpocket the observers. Also, I am someone who wants to help when I see people in trouble in fights, but you can't always be a superhero. Don't get yourself involved in a 5-person fight when clearly the odds are against you (especially if you're like a small little girl like me haha). Also, many times people are intoxicated when they fight or start randomly screaming, and drunk people do not always have the clearest state-of-mind and can do things uncontrollably. Just be careful~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So these are just a few tips I have for maintaining safety while you're in Korea. Like I mentioned earlier, I felt very safe in Korea. There were almost always people around and I was pretty familiar with where I was going. Even if I wasn't, I was comfortable asking people for directions. NSLI-Y students do have a curfew so you won't be out ridiculously late, meaning the subways will be running and people will be around. Wherever you are, be mindful of your surroundings and take care of yourself.

It helps to travel around with someone else when you're exploring Seoul (especially someone who is Korean or at least comfortable speaking Korean), so I'd recommend that for your first few days in Seoul. If you ever get lost or something happens, DON'T PANIC. Ask someone for help, and if there is no one around, call your host family, friend, or even RD. Don't worry though, you guys should be fine! Just be smart :)

Comments

Popular Posts