Street Food in Korea

I know this is something you are all excited for, so I thought a blog post on street food would be fun! I LOVE street food (and just Korean food in general) and definitely ate my fair share of it. In this post I'll talk about the different kinds and street food, my favorites, and show pictures of the food!  Hopefully it's entertaining ^^

Street food stalls are all over Seoul... I would pass multiple ones every day, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find street food, especially in popular areas (Myeongdong, Dongdaemun, Hongdae).

---------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDE TO KOREAN STREET FOOD:

떡볶이- Spicy long rice cakes in a sauce made from red pepper paste; also contains fish cakes, sometimes egg (depending on the place)

순대- Blood sausage; pig intestines stuffed with noodles (당면), barley, blood, and other various fillings (also depending on the place)

오뎅- Fish cakes, also called 어묵 (Korean name); fish cakes on a stick. These are super cheap but also super delicious, one of my favorites! Depending on the place, you can just eat how many skewers you want and the ahjumma working will count up how many you ate and how much you owe~ If not, some of the places will just say how many one serving is and the price for one serving.

튀김- Refers to fried snacks; You'll see all sorts of fried foods at street food stalls.. some of the foods include squid, shrimp, potatoes, dumplings, peppers, sweet potato, vegetables, egg (hard boiled), etc...
When you order it, you'll order a serving and can then choose which snacks you want to fill your cup up with! I personally love the squid, shrimp, egg, peppers, and sweet potato...

국물- 오뎅국물; this refers to the broth from the odeng. When you buy from a stall, you can get this (for free!!) in little cups and keep getting as much as you want while you sit/stand there and eat! I LOVE 국물..

These are the most common foods you will see at street food stalls, and everything is relatively cheap and very delicious, so eat lots of yummy street food! It's fun to just grab some with your friend[s] and go sit by the Han River or the Cheonggyecheon and eat and talk. Also it's nice to eat standing at the stall and talking to the ahjummas and ahjussis that work there.. they were always so kind ^^ Street food is a must when you go to Korea!! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is just a little bit more about my experience eating street food and some other kinds of street food you can find [on the street hehe] in Korea! 



신촌

Sogang University is located in Sinchon, but it is like a 10-15 minute walk from Sinchon station. On the way to school, EVERY DAY I would pass a street food stall/cart. I craved it every time I walked by, and after about a week, a few of us stopped and got some cheap yet delicious food from the ahjummas at the cart. This place was great... Foods there included 떡볶이, 튀김, 오뎅, 순대, and (오뎅)국물~



The cart is around the area outside of Coffee Break. My friends and I got 튀김 (assorted fried foods) and sat on a nearby bench and ate them together. Also, can't forget the delicious 국물 we got along with the  food haha. We chose a bunch of different fried foods... Like I mentioned before, I love the squid, shrimp, sweet potato, and egg the best! You should try all of the different kinds and see which is your favorite :)


 홍대

 We went to Hongdae pretty often, and many times we would stop at a food stall on the street and get something to eat. Just about a hundred meters from the Hongdae station exit 9, there is a food stall we would go to run my ahjummas. I loved their 오뎅 and 국물!! There are two stalls next to each other, but we'd go to the one to the right if you're facing both of them. The ahjummas were sooo nice and even gave a little discount ;) Here's some odeng and my best friend modeling our food haha.  


Another stall in Hongdae we went to many times (so much that the guy recognized us) was this little hamburger sliders place! Two Korean guys worked there, and my friends liked to stop there for their burger fix. The burgers were so cute, but one of the reasons we really went back was to visit our friend haha. We got to know the worker there after visiting twice. His stall is if you are walking out of exit 9 down the busy street then take your first right down that alley/street... There is a restaurant up these stairs, and his stall is right by/under those stairs and across from Olive Young. He speaks English reaallyy well, so we would talk to him in a mix of English and Korean. If he's there and you happen to see him, mention that you are on the same program studying Korean as the big group of foreigners that often came to visit him and eat his burgers! Not sure if he'll remember us, but we definitely remember him... Still wish we took a picture with him but here's just one of us at his place haha.




명동
Okay, so 명동 has a lot of places I loved going for food. I spent a lot of time here, and therefore I ate a lot here too haha. Here are some of my favorite places and things I ate on the streets of Myeongdong~~

ICE CREAM:

 There are two ice creams that I loved eating in Myeongdong, and they were both delicious and definitely worth the price! I live at a beach resort town, so ice cream is usually expensive and overpriced here, but these ice creams in Myeongdong were cheap, large, and delicious- what's better than that!?

The first ice cream is the J shaped ice cream cone that you can see all over. This J-shaped corn cone is filled with ice cream, and it's only about 2,000 won! It's super good. Here's my beautiful friend modeling our food once again haha.


 The next ice cream is something that I had been wanting to try for a while but never ate until a little later on. That is the big ice cream in Myeongdong.. IT IS 32 CM TALL!! I saw SO many people with this in Myeongdong whenever I'd go I wanted to try it to. I LOVE ice cream, so a big ice cream for 2,000won is like the best thing ever. This place is down a street (turned left down a street) and it's a little place next to other buildings. It is part of a building structure, but it's on the street- you can see where it is in my photo with the ice cream. I got the mango&yogurt flavor, and my friend got the strawberry&vanilla one. Yes, we ate it all, and we actually went to Dongdaemun after this and ate more ice cream haha good times. (P.s. Sandra and I have a lot of pictures, but this is one of my absolute favorites<3 p="">


WAFFLES:

 I honestly just love food. My friend and I were craving samgyupsal one day, so we went to Myeongdong and ate lots of delicious KBBQ (at one of my favorite restaurants). After that, we were walking towards the subway station and stumbled upon this cart selling cream waffles. This was pretty early on in the program, but now looking back, I see this day was the first day of my food adventures with my subway/plane/gireum friend. She LOVES food, and even though we had just eaten a huge meat meal, she convinced me to get this cream waffle with her. Well, ONE OF THE BEST DECISIONS I MADE. These are DELICIOUS. What these are are waffles (cooked right there) with cream inside, chocolate chips, and apple syrup (get that when they ask if you want it). You choose what kind of cream you want to put inside your waffle, and there are so many choices! Also, there are other waffles where you can put ice cream inside... ICE CREAM. These are also so so so delicious.. everything is.... We were very happy girls going home today after eating our samgyupsal and cream waffles. Definitely have to try these if you have the chance to do so!




There are tons of other kinds of street food (fish bread, egg bread, etc...), but these are just some of my favorites I had! I hope this was helpful.. sorry it was kind of short :/ PDO is in a little over a week, so I'm going to try to blog as much as I can leading up to that! Eat lots of street food for me in Korea <3 b="" hehehe="" nbsp="">

Comments

Popular Posts