My Life Post-NSLI-Y

Hey guys!

Forgive me for not posting about NSLI-Y stuff, but I thought it would be somewhat interesting to post about what I've been doing post-NSLI-Y. I participated in the program after my junior year so when I came back from Korea I was a senior.

I graduated from high school two weeks ago, which still seems a bit surreal, but I'm excited for what's ahead!

Before I tell you where I'm going to college in the fall, I thought I'd just talk briefly about college applications and decisions.

I ended up choosing a school that was not really on my radar (for multiple reasons). I applied on a whim thinking I wasn't even going to get in (and at the time, I didn't really care if I did or did not). My mother is the one who really wanted me to apply to this school to be honest haha. Despite submitting my application 30 minutes before the deadline, I got accepted!!

Before being accepted, I didn't even really consider the school or have any interest/intent on attending. After being accepted, I did a lot of thinking, researching, and comparing. Through all that, I realized this school was actually a pretty great school with a good name and tons to offer, especially compared to most of the other schools I was accepted to. What ultimately led me to my decision was the program, location, diverse student bodies, and cost (in no particular order). I know college is going to be way different from high school (both of which have their pros and cons), but I am SUPER excited to be able to call myself a....... COLONIAL!!!!

Most of y'all (who don't already know where I'm going) are probably confused and like "What's a Colonial?" haha. I will be attending The George Washington University in Washington DC in the fall, where I will be majoring in international affairs and minoring in Korean language and literature.

 

One of the main reasons I am posting this is because I will be studying KOREAN! I went on the NSLI-Y Korea program in 2014 and learned a ton. The fact that I am able to continue my Korean studies in college was a HUGE deciding factor when it came down to two schools. Korean isn't a super popular language to study in college, so I was looking for a school that offered Korean language classes. So if you are looking for a school with Korean as well, CHECK OUT THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY AND HIT ME UP!!!

When you guys apply to colleges and have to make the big decision of where to go, I just want to say be open and explore ALL of your options! I am attending a school I never thought I would get accepted into and therefore didn't have much interest in, but now I am so proud and excited to tell people I attend GW! The whole college application process was difficult and stressful, and while things didn't go how I originally hoped, I am content with my decision! :)

Now back to NSLI-Y stuff... I recently attended the 2015 NSLI-Y Summer program's pre-departure orientation as a visiting alumna where I helped assist staff, answer questions, and do a presentation on my experience on the program. It was a really fun time getting to hang out with the iEARN staff, the RDs, Tatum (a girl from my program), and of course my cute little NSLI-Y7 children who are currently in Korea!!!! I love y'all (if you're reading this) and keep in touch! I love stalking your pics hehe.

So... I'll post soon about PDO for this year! It was similar in ways to my PDO last year, but definitely some different things.

P.S. I don't know what happened to the header of my blog... I'll get around to fixing it sometime soon.

Comments

Popular Posts