THE INTERVIEW [PART II]

       So this past weekend [not really- copy&pasting this part LOL]. I had my interview for NSLI-Y, and I want to write about it before I forget [even more] about it!

THERE WILL BE TWO SEPARATE POSTS ABOUT THE INTERVIEW

  • One containing preparation&interview tips and such for future applicants/semifinalists 
  • One talking about my personal interview experience
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       So, I know that I was also looking for accounts of other semifinalists' interviews [in addition to tips] because I wanted to get a feel for how mine might go. Therefore, I am writing the second part of 'The Interview' for people that feel the same way I felt when I was going through this. 

Disclaimer: This will probably be long and I will probably end up blabbing about something not very significant. ALSO, your interview will not go exactly like mine- things vary in every interview.. It really just depends on your interviewer and the interviewing center. 




Night before; what I wore
       On the night before my interview, I was freaking out about my outfit. I was cleaning my closet when I stumbled upon a blue sweater that I tried on with my skirt and shoes; I liked it. So I was literally stressed over a sweater. I didn't know whether or not I should wear the new white sweater or the blue sweater.. 
It honestly really didn't matter what I wore, because I don't think my interviewer really cared. Don't stress toooooo much cause stress the night before was not good. 

ANYWAY, the next morning I woke up at like 6am and left my house at around 7am to get to my 11:30 interview. I only had on bb cream because I don't wear makeup besides bb cream~ The car ride was super long, but I just used that time to mentally prepare myself for the interview. I got to my interview center early just so I knew where I was going. I left the interview center after locating it to go to Starbucks. This was actually really nice because I got a drink and took out my NSLI-Y notebook to review possible interview questions. [It was funny because there were parents of other semifinalists in Starbucks waiting for their kids interviews to be finished]

       I went back to the interview center at like 11am, 30 minutes before my interview. It was only another boy and I with our parents there, so we talked with each other and talked with the AFS worker out in the waiting area as well. Eventually the group before us was finished and all the volunteers/workers came out to meet us.

       There were 4 volunteers and the head coordinator for NJ. They introduced themselves then asked us our names and the country/language we were applying for. After introductions and a little talk, the head lady said to all of us that they were going to choose who they were going to interview. One interviewer took one girl to the big room where we were all being interviewed, then the head lady looked around at all of us. She stared at me and said that she'll take me... I WAS SO NERVOUS AND INTERNALLY FREAKING OUT. She is the coordinator for my state, so I was really nervous. I still have no idea why she chose me.

       We were all in one huuuuge room with tables in it; the interviewer sat on one side of the table while the interviewee sat on the other. The interviewers had a packet with questions to guide them and where they could write things down. I was close to my interviewer and could see what she was writing... he he he. She asked me basic stuff about me, but when she asked me a question about my city, I FROZE. I was like uh.... uh.... I don't know...... Then she's like well you better find out and I was like GREAT I ALREADY MESSED THINGS UP IN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES. However, after all those questions, things went GREAT. 

       Within the first 10 minutes or so she told me that there was a question asking if she supported this applicant and she said yes, I definitely strongly support you. After that, we really just had a good interview. I prepared for hypothetical situation questions, but those really weren't asked much. The interview was not a question&answer- it was a conversation. We talked a lot while still getting the necessary points covered. 

       I was soooo nervous for my interview but surprisingly did really well. I am quite reserved and shy, especially when I get nervous, but that day, I was very outgoing and talkative. I thought ahead of time what kind of questions may be asked and tried to think of stories and situations I could share, and that really helped. 

       I struggled on answering some questions and I really regret my answers to other questions, but overall it went really really well which I am happy about. When I struggled on questions I tried not to panic. I just tried to stall by saying well, blah blah blah and hmm.. a time where I blah blah blah... I used that stalling time to think of answers. 

       Later on, my mother, who accompanied me to the interview, was brought in. Immediately she asked if I was really quiet and shy, to which my interviewer responded with an immediate NO, not at all! She told my mother how much she loved me and how I answered all of the questions very well. Later on, after we had all finished talking, she told the two of us that she really was going to do everything to get me into this program. She believed I would make a perfect candidate for NSLI-Y and was exactly what they were looking for. She also told me before in the interview that I am very well-rounded and that I am a kind of person that people want; she described me as kindhearted and someone who cares about others a lot. 

       I was really worried that I wouldn't show be able to show who I am during the interview because of nerves, but everything seemed to have gone really well.  

       Honestly speaking, I feel very good about my interview. It really made me believe that I have a good shot at this scholarship. However, I know how competitive NSLI-Y is, and I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Last year I didn't even make semis, so making semis is something I am proud of. 

If you are reading this and are a semifinalist, CONGRATULATIONS! That alone is a huge honor because the applicant pool is cut in more than half. You've made it here, so attack the interview! 

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE, JUST ASK ON HERE AND I WILL ANSWER ^^ 

It is almost time for finalist notifications, and I am extremely nervous and excited at the same time. Hopefully I'll have some good news soon! :) 

Best of luck to all semifinalists and congrats!!!!! 

       


Comments

Popular Posts